Exotics Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exotics Forums

A forum for pet lovers where you can post about your animals!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Anolis carolinensis-the forgotten lizard.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Billabong

Anolis carolinensis-the forgotten lizard. Empty
PostSubject: Anolis carolinensis-the forgotten lizard.   Anolis carolinensis-the forgotten lizard. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 12:23 am

The Genus Anolis is an interesting one. Two species come to mind as being readily available to us in the pet hobby, although there are others that show up occasionally that are equally fascinating. The first of those being noneother than Anolis carolinensis. I know that they're dirt cheap and are oft overlooked, some people even use them as feeders, but if well cared for they can make a fantastic pet. They will need proper uv lighting set-ups and ideally some exposure to the sun a few times a year if they are to thrive.

They tend to do best in small groups (2 males, 4 females) so they will require a good-sized enclosure. Some moist alcoves provided within the enclosure will give them a place to deposit their eggs. Watch for young as they are absolutely tiny and can blend in very well with their background. When you do find them, isolate them as their feeding needs to be monitored. And also to ensure they don't end up getting either eaten or trampled by one of the adults. The adults are quite happy to devour crickets that have been dusted.

Varying their diet tends to bring out their colour more and I find makes them more active. So whenever the occasion presents itself, I offer up large nightcrawlers that are in abundance and result in a feeding frenzy. And, if you have the patience and you want to watch something that will be the most entertaining thing you'll see all year, catch one of those large houseflies that show up every summer and throw it in the enclosure. Feed them until they're full. A good way to gauge that is by looking at the base of the tail, if it's nice and plump then you know your lizard is having it's dietary needs met.

It is a good idea to avoid using substrate when keeping them as you'll find that clean-up and maintenance will become a real chore. Give them a tall enclosure with plenty of climbing opportunities, and let gravity take care of the rest. I would also avoid using live plants as they usually cannot stand up to the damage from the anoles using them as leaping pads and landing zones, and constantly depositing acidic feces.

Being that these are from somewhat temperate climes, they can withstand cooler temperatures at night than some of their more tropical cousins. They're pretty happy in the 80-90F range during the day, but that can drop to 65-70F at night.

The best way to water your Anole is via a sprayer. Those handheld pump misters work fantastic. Be sure to give the entire enclosure a spraydown and the anoles will drink from the water droplets. A water bowl is effective as well, even if they're not drinking from it as it will aid during shedding.

Hope that about covers it, so the next time you see those Anoles for sale and you have the space, start your own colony and enjoy these highly underrated herps for the little marvels that they are.

Back to top Go down

Anolis carolinensis-the forgotten lizard.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Exotics Forums :: Reptiles :: Lizards :: Anoles-
Jump to: